Mr Hersh Deo
Mr Hersh Deo MBBS MRCS MSc FRCS(Tr&Orth)
Mr Hersh Deo is a Consultant Orthopaedic surgeon specialising in knee and hip surgery. His NHS practice is based at The James Paget University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust which covers the district of Great Yarmouth and Waveney as well as parts of Suffolk and Norfolk. For private patients, he offers the option of admission to either The Charnwood Suite (James Paget University Hospital) or The Spire Norwich Hospital.
His special interest is arthroscopic (key-hole) treatment of sports injuries of the knee such as ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) rupture, meniscal tears and cartilage damage. He also specialises in total and partial knee replacements and total hip replacements.
Hersh gained his medical degree from St George’s Hospital Medical School (University of London). After completing 3 years of Basic surgical training, he took a year out to gain a Master of Science degree at the prestigious Imperial College, London. His research looked into ways of regenerating articular cartilage in the knee – an area which remains of special interest today. His Orthopaedic higher surgical training took place in London (South-east Thames rotation) after which he completed 2 years of Fellowship training sub-specialising in surgery of the knee and hip in London and Adelaide, Australia.
Hersh has over 6 years of experience as an NHS consultant both in large teaching hospitals and in district general hospitals. His elective work is a mix of knee arthroscopy and soft tissue knee reconstruction and primary, complex primary and revision knee and hip replacement. He specialises in procedures such as meniscal repair, anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction, cartilage repair and medial patello-femoral ligament reconstruction for patella instability. He also has a special interest in hip conditions affecting young adults and is able to perform hip arthroscopy (key-hole surgery of the hip joint).
For joint replacements, Hersh is committed to using evidence based implants and advanced bearing surfaces (Verilast TM). There is now new technology available in which patient-specific equipment is used to optimise the position of the implant (Visionaire TM) and therefore increase the lifespan of the implant. Hersh prides himself on offering state-of-the art operative techniques.
Through implementation of personal innovations and effective communication within the multi-disciplinary team, his joint replacement patients have a shorter length of stay, re-admission rate and infection rate compared to the national average (Dr Foster).
Hersh is a keen trauma surgeon and is able to offer management of all common fractures. He has a special interest in lower limb, peri-prosthetic fracture fixation. I am an Advanced Trauma and Life Support Instructor and an Educational supervisor.
Hersh captained his University cricket team and won 3 successive tournaments. He still enjoys club cricket as well as tennis, skiing and golf.
- Primary total knee replacement
- Revision total knee replacement
- Uni-compartment knee replacement (half knee)
- Patello-femoral replacement
- High tibial osteotomy (re-alignment)
- Patient specific, computer-assisted knee replacement
Knee (Soft tissue / Sports injury)
- Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction
- Posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction
- Collateral ligament reconstruction
- Meniscal repair
- Cartilage repair
- Surgery for patella (kneecap) instability
- Primary total hip replacement
- Revision total hip replacement
- Hip arthroscopy
Other Contact Information
- For more details regarding my practice, please visit my website at: www.yarmouthkneeandhipsurgeon.co.uk
- Referrals can be faxed to 01493442430 or email me at email@example.com
- For any enquiries or to arrange an appointment at The Spire Norwich please phone 01603 255614 / 01603 255574 or log onto www.spirehealthcare.com/norwich/
- Write to me at: East Point Consulting Rooms. Weekend appointments can be arranged on special request.