Dermatology is the branch of medicine dealing with the skin, nails, hair and its diseases.
It is a specialty with both medical and surgical aspects. A dermatologist treats diseases, in the widest sense and some cosmetic problems of the skin, scalp, hair, and nails.
In the UK, a dermatologist is a medically qualified practitioner who has gone on to specialise in medicine and then sub-specialise in dermatology. This involves:
- – Medical school for five years to obtain an MBBS, MBBCh or MB,BChir degree
- – One year of house jobs (Foundation year 1) before becoming fully registered as a medical practitioner
- – Two to three years training in general medicine (Foundation years 2 and 3 or more) to obtain a higher degree in medicine and become a member of the Royal College of Physicians
- – Having obtained the MRCP examination, applying to become a Specialty Registrar (StR) in Dermatology and training for four years in dermatology.
- – Passing the Specialty Certificate Examination (SCE) in Dermatology before the end of training
- – Upon successful completion of the four-year training period, the doctor becomes an accredited dermatologist and is able to apply for a consultant hospital post as a consultant dermatologist.
- (Information above from Wiki Article)
EPCR Dermatologist Information
Our dermatologists are UK gained and have over 15 years experience of working both in the NHS and in private clinics. Our dermatologists treat a wide variety of skin, hair and nail conditions, and can provide you with a consultation without any need for a GP referral.
Dermatology conditions can be short and long term requiring a one-off consultation or an ongoing treatment package. Our East Point clinic rooms provide excellent facilities to treat a wide range of dermatology conditions, including procedures, such as mole removals.
The following are just a few conditions that our dermatologists can treat:
- Mole removal
- Skin Cancer Screenings
Meet the team
Our Consultant Dermatologist is Dr Deepak Rallan, who is a consultant at James Paget University Hospital and founder of Diamond Skin Care (DSC Ltd). DSC holds private clinics at Eastpoint Consulting rooms (Gorleston) and Global clinic (Norwich). The majority of skin problems can be investigated and treated between these two centres.