Rheumatology is a sub-specialty in internal medicine devoted to diagnosis and therapy of rheumatic diseases.
The speciality includes a wide range of musculoskeletal conditions which vary from the complex inflammatory disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis and connective tissue disease, to degenerative joint disease and soft tissue disorders affecting muscle, tendon, ligaments and bursa. Clinicians who specialize in rheumatology are called rheumatologists. Rheumatologists deal mainly with clinical problems involving joints, soft tissues, autoimmune diseases, vasculitis, and heritable connective tissue disorders.
Rheumatology diagnostic tests may include:
- Blood tests
- Joint fluid analysis
- Ultrasound examination
- X Ray examination
- Bone density scans
- Nerve conduction studies
- Computed tomography (CT) and Magnetic Resonance Imaging(MRI) examinations
Rheumatology treatments may include:
- Drug therapy (intra-venous therapies, immunosuppressive treatments, disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs and the new range of biologic therapies.)
- Steroid injections into inflamed joints
- Injection into soft tissues (for conditions such as tennis elbow, frozen shoulder, or carpal tunnel syndrome)
- Ultrasound guided injection
Our Consultant Rheumatologist is Dr Joegi Thomas. He specialises in the diagnosis and management of all forms of arthritis and joint pain,including Rheumatoid arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Crystal arthritis (Gout& Pseudogout), Connective tissue disease (Lupus & Sjogrens syndrome), Osteoporosis and soft tissue (tendon and muscles) disorders.